Assistant Research and Development Chemist
Assistant Research & Development Chemist – Pacoima, CA
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
The Assistant R & D Tech must receive instruction and guidance from QC and R & D chemists of all levels. Learns to prepare stock samples for customers and evaluate for quality before approving for shipment. Compounds and improves existing products using existing and/or new raw materials. Begins to calculate costing on some products based on complexity. Has internal contacts with Quality Control, Production and inter-company lab personnel regarding resources, production and quality control procedures. Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in ways that foster good relationships with clients, customers, co-workers and supervisors, while achieving performance standards.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Compound and/or modify new and existing products, including juice concentrates and flavors based on defined customer or in-house requirements. Each project has specific instructions to be followed.
- Prepare handwritten formula for all work completed for approval and enter formula into computer system.
- Perform all quality control analysis and testing on intermediates, new products and/or product modifications developed.
- Assist in the preparation and packing of stock samples.
- Perform costing calculations on some work performed.
- Prepare rough draft of product specifications for supervisor review.
- Perform shelf-life studies and stability testing of products as required.
- Assist Quality Control and Production in first-time production of products developed by him/her.
- Assist Quality Control Department in the absence of QC personnel.
- Coordinate with the shipping department regarding the proper handling of sample shipments.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area.
- Prepare reports as required.
- Maintain daily logs and update records.
- Perform other duties and special projects as required.
- BS or BA in Food Science, Chemistry, Biology or other science discipline.
- Must demonstrate creativity skills, taste, and aroma sense acuity.
- Must have visual acuity to evaluate sample appearance and use lab instruments.
- Proficiency with written and verbal English.
- Proficient with MS Office or other computer systems.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 pounds occasionally.
- Must report to any company facility according to company need.